Find a piece of paper and write down one thing you want to change in your parenting or family life this year.
Not a list of resolutions, or everything that’s going wrong right now. Just one change you want to make over the next few months.
Done? Just one thing. You’ll be amazed at what can happen at home in the coming months.
- Yell less
- Find a morning routine that works
- Work on being a calm parent
- Figure out bedtime routines
- Limit our family’s technology use
Something we have to constantly remind ourselves – and other parents – is that habits take a long time to form and a long time to change. If you’re in a pattern you don’t like, you CAN change it. It just takes time.
Choose one goal and make a plan. With practice and support, you’ll be amazed at what can change around you.
Let’s say you have a homework battle at 4pm every day. Let’s make a plan together.
- Write down your goal – No more homework battles!
- Find tools to help you, like this article: End the Nightly Homework Struggle: 5 Homework Strategies That Work for Kids.
- Make a plan. What behavior of your own will you change? What is your strategy? This is what you will be practicing over the coming months.
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Get support when you need it, whether from a friend, a relative, or the Empowering Parents coaches and community. Support helps keep you on track.
Remember that change is work; there is no magic bullet. But when you put in the work and see the change happen, the results can feel amazing.
You are in good company here. Let us know if you make a goal and how it’s going!
Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year,
Becky & The Empowering Parents Team