2009 saw controversy and more controversy when it came to parenting, from reality T.V. scandals like Balloon Boy, the Gosselins and Octomom to parents’ worries about Sexting, texting and kids online activities in general. We’re also glad to see that our resident ADHD/ADD expert Dr. Bob Myers insightful advice is again a big hit with our readers, as are Dr. Joan’s tell-it-like-it-is blog posts filled with useful tips and encouragement. Many of our Parent Bloggers are also in the top ten this year, and we’d like to take this opportunity to thank them once again for all their hard work we’re both proud and humbled to have such talented and dedicated parents blogging for us.
We hope you’ll enjoy this virtual trip down memory lane as you read about the issues that grabbed EP readers most in 2009. Thanks again for reading, and as always, please let us know what’s on your mind and what you’d like to see us cover next!
–Elisabeth Wilkins, EP Editor
P.S. Remember, we’re all in this together. Every comment you leave on EP truly has the potential to touch or help another parent out there. So thank you for reading–we’re grateful to have you here with us in our judgment-free parenting zone.
EP’s Top Ten Blog Posts of 2009
10. Parenting Mistakes I Have Made (and Why Natural Consequences are the Key to Changing Your Child’s Behavior) by Kemuel Ronis, Parent Blogger
9. Octomom: 6 Was Not Enough by Elisabeth Wilkins, EP Editor
8. Parenting an ADHD/ADD Child: 10 Ways to Help Their Behavior Improve by Dr. Bob Myers
7. Sibling Fighting, Backtalk and Yelling–It Must be Summer by Dr. Joan Munson
6. Working Through the Total Transformation: One Mom Tries to Deal with Her Son’s Disrespect and Backtalk by Lola Howle, Parent Blogger
5. Is Your Child Sexting Nude Photos? Surprise! 1 in 5 Have Tried It by Elisabeth Wilkins, EP Editor
4. When Your Teen Says, “I’m Almost 18–You Can’t Tell Me What to Do!” by Megan Devine, 1-on-1 Coach
3. How I Stood My Ground (Eventually) in the Face of My Daughter’s Negotiating by Parent Blogger Kathy Pride
2. How to Talk to the Demanding Child: 12 Tips to Use Right Awayby Parent Blogger Scott Wardell
And our top post of 2009
Please let us know which posts and articles on EP resonated most with you–we’d love to hear your opinion!
About Elisabeth Wilkins
Elisabeth Wilkins was the editor of Empowering Parents and the mother of an 10-year-old son. Her work has appeared in national and international publications, including Mothering, Motherhood (Singapore), Hausfrau, The Bad Mother Chronicles, and The Japan Times. Elisabeth holds a Masters in Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the University of Southern Maine.